Life in Debrecen
1. Country info
Hungary is a European Union member country located in Central Europe, having borders with Austria, Slovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia.
Population: ca. 10 million.
Time zone: CET (GMT+1)
Currency: forint (HUF)
- Hungary has a continental climate
- Winters are usually cold, cloudy and humid (average temperature between 0 and −15 °C / 32 and 5 °F), summers are warm (average temperature between 27 and 32 °C / 81 and 90 °F)
- The average annual temperature is 9.7 °C / 49.5 °F
- The average yearly rainfall is approximately 600 mm / 24 in
1.2. Currency and payment methods
- The currency of Hungary is the Hungarian Forint (HUF)
- 1 USD = approximately 295 HUF
- 1 EUR = approximately 350 HUF
- Credit cards are accepted in an increasing number of places (American Express, MasterCard, EuroCard, Visa, etc.)
- It is a good idea to bring cash if possible, since banks ask for a 5% commission to change travelers’ cheques
- Unless a Western Union Transfer is used, bank transfers can take 2-4 weeks
- It is difficult to use personal cheques – banks need at least 1 month (usually 6 weeks) to process them
You can reach more info about the cost of living here!
1.3. Useful phone numbers
- Call code of Hungary: +36
- Call code of Debrecen: 52
- Immigration Office: +36 52 503 840
- Emergency numbers:
- Police: 107
- Ambulance: 104
- Fire-department: 105
- All emergency: 112
- Directory Enquiries
- Telephone numbers within the country: 198
- Telephone numbers abroad: 199
- Other: 197
- Pay phones operate with 100, 50, 20, and 10 forint coins, however, you might be better off with a phone card (which are sold at post offices and newsstands)
- To make international calls from Hungary, dial 00 wait for the dial tone, then go on with the country code, area code and number
- 06-80 are known as green numbers and can be called free of charge
- Phone numbers beginning with 06-20, 06-30, 06-60, or 06-70 are cell phone numbers
- There are three major phone companies in Hungary, offering cell phone service:
There are some holidays in Hungary when all the schools, shops and offices are closed.
- 1st January – New Year’s Day
- 15th March – National Holiday
- Good Friday – the Friday preceding Easter Sunday
- Easter Monday
- 1st May
- Whitsun/Pentecost – seven weeks after Easter Sunday
- 20th August – National Holiday
- 23rd October – National Holiday
- 1st November – All Saints' Day
- 25th-26th December – Christmas
Learn the basics: Hungarian mini dictionary
2.1. City info
- With 220 thousand inhabitants Debrecen is the second largest city in the country
- It is a cultural, educational and economic center of Eastern Hungary
- Seat of Hungarian Protestantism
2.2. City life
- Debrecen offers year round high-quality programs including festivals, concerts and all sorts of sporting events
- Main attractions and places to visit:
Hortobágy National Park
Great Forest of Debrecen
Főnix hall – national and international sports events center (capacity: 8,000 spectators)
Debrecen Ice Rink
Kölcsey Convention Centre – the largest conference center of Eastern Hungary (capacity: 1,150 people)
MODEM (Modern and Contemporary Arts Centre)
- For more information about leisure time activities, please visit this site!
2.3. "10 things to do in Debrecen upon arrival"
We collected the first 10 things that you should do as soon as you arrive to Debrecen. Check our suggested list here! :)
2.4. Student life
Debrecen is a "student city", with lots of international and Hungarian students, where you will surely find programs and activities for your free time.
More info about great places and student hubs are available on this site!
If you want to know more about sporting possibilities, you might visit this site as well!
1. How to get to Debrecen
By plane directly to Debrecen
- Direct flights operate between Debrecen and London Luton (England) and Eindhoven (Netherlands)
- An airport shuttle runs between Debrecen University and Debrecen Airport touching major points of the city (Hotel Divinus, Főnix Sports Hall, Hotel Lycium, Downtown, Railway Station, etc.)
- The city center is accessible from the airport in just 6 minutes by car, as well
- For additional information, please visit the website of Debrecen Airport
From Budapest (Liszt Ferenc/Ferihegy) airport
- If arriving to Budapest by plane airport minibus shuttles are available to get to Debrecen
- The University partner agency called Troubleshooter provides assistance in booking a transfer
- Reservations need to be made at least three days prior to the flight
- InterCity trains from Budapest to Debrecen stop at Ferihegy station
- From Terminal 2, Ferihegy the train station is accessible by bus number 200E during the daytime and by bus number 900 at night time
- Hungarian state railway company MÁV operates a domestic ticket office at the Ferihegy train station every day from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.
- Train tickets can also be purchased from the ticket machines located on the platforms
- Please note that for InterCity trains you need to buy a ticket plus seat reservation, as well
2. Transportation within Debrecen
- UniBike - The UniBike bicycle sharing system is established by the University of Debrecen and the Debrecen Reformed Theological University. The purpose of the Unibike system is to enable students and employees of the universities to move between the campuses.
- By taxi
- City Taxi: + 36 52 555 555, + 36 52 888 444
- Főtaxi: + 36 52 444 555
- Főnix: + 36 52 444 444
- By means of public transportation (buses and trams also available)
- The best and most comfortable way to use public transportation is to buy a monthly pass, available at a discount price with your student card
- For more information on public transportation in Debrecen please visit DKV
You can also find information about the life in Debrecen on the Troubleshooter website!